Claresholm Pharmacy opened on May 1, 1907 by Otto Reineche. In 1921, the pharmacy moved to the present location on Main Street. On May 1, 1950, Mr. Harry “Duke” Ferguson, a longtime employee since 1936, became the second owner of the pharmacy. The store admirably became Duke’s Drugs.
Lee and Betty Mainprize purchased the store as of May 1, 1976. The name was changed to IDA. At the time of purchase, the Mainprize’s did not know that all three owners had started business on May 1. Over the years, many renovations and additions have taken place on the original building, so not much is left except part of the back wall, the rear office and the peaked roof.
Today, the physical location of the pharmacy encompasses three buildings: the original pharmacy, Ruth’s Flower Shop and the Alberta Hotel. This Hotel was one of the oldest buildings in town.
On May 1, 2011, Paul Zemlak took over the business and retained the name Claresholm Pharmacy. The pharmacy has expanded its services and offerings to meet the growing needs of the local community.
The history has only begun for Paul Zemlak. Together, we will write a new story for future generations.
Date unknown. Photo credit: www.prairie-towns.com